December news! We have spent the last months debugging the core structure as much as we can to avoid delaying any longer the release of a playable sample for the Kickstarter & Humble backers.
We still have some things that need to be polished but it seems that, overall, the game works and the people that tried the demo are enjoying the experience :)
There are certain things that we’d love to include in the current alpha, but we decided to release it now and receive feedback while focusing in other tasks. In any case we’ll think about releasing an updated beta demo with more content and improves in the future.
Talking about new features, We don’t want to get too much carried away with things that will be included in the final version (specially if some of them are intrinsically linked to core mechanics and will be like go to hell and back to change them). In any case some improves should be:
- Different skins for male and female (they are already done outside Unity but we changed the system used earlier in development for a more solid one).
- Different color skins (shaders have a high computational cost and we are still trying to find the most efficient solution to implement tonal ranges. For example, some of you may experience performance issues with the red alarms of the stages > that’s because of the use of shaders).
- Allow Subject W to hide crouched in low hideouts such as paper bins, boxes, trolleys or flower pots. It seems a little bit confuse to stay crouched to use drawers / trapdoors and you have to stand to hide on the first ones.
- Leave the door open on the room that you are entering.
- Enemies able to interrupt Subject W while using a vending machine.
- A new bubble state for scientist that are focused working and can’t hear Subject W. Bubbles of “talking state” for characters on cutscenes (in the air).
- Possibility to skip cutscenes by pressing start.
- Advance dialogues by pressing the action key/button (this one could be very difficult to include due the cutscene and subtitle systems that are already used + the need to change the pace of certains cutscenes, but we’ll try to add it).
- Load automatically in the last garden after dying, without going to the main menu.
- Expanded options menu when pressing start (the demo only show the playable controls).
- Show distinctive rooms on the map such as save gardens, elevators and undergrounds with specific colors and letters.
- A legend next to the map.
+ the solving of fixes such as:
- Problems rendering rotated pixel art elements.
- Receiving the first impact when you are pulled out of a hideout.
- If Subject W dies by the hand of a reinforcement guard while exiting a room the player can turn invincible (until you exit and load the game again).
- State bubble maladjustments.
- Sudden pixel displacements between states of enemies.
- Represent all closed doors on the map (you can experience a bug that show some of them open).
One issue that we identified during our tests was that the noise made by closed hideouts could be a huge pain (this is because it reveals the position of W and leaves the player very exposed). We’ll try to change it if people think that it’s an annoying feature.
Starting the next year we’ll add the forum section to our main site and send invitations to the backers so we can have a specific spot to chat, comment and write down all the feedback tha comes from the alpha demo. In the meantime feel free to contact us via mail or private message on Kickstarter.
PS: problem receiving the demo
For those that are not receiving the Humble mail, try requesting the demo on this link: https://www.humblebundle.com/resender
Happy holidays to everyone and thanks for your support!